Thursday, April 15, 2010

Music - Matthew Orr's Response

Music has been a big part of my life for several years now. It hadn't really become an integral part until about middle school however, when a lot of my friends introduced me to Hip-Hop/ Rap. Where I come from, a lot of the middle school and high school- aged kids all try to be "gangsta" or "thug-nasty" or a whole list of other words for people that want to be street- tough. With that mindset, a lot of my friends introduced me to Rap because they identified with it a lot through their clothing, attitude, and sometimes lifestyle.

I would have to say my favorite artists are those from Atlanta because they speak about their hometown and bring a lot of attention (good or bad) to this city. Artists like T.I., Ludacris, and Young Jeezy are the most prominent in the area (warning: some content on the hyperlinks may be explicit). A lot of their lyrics talk about Atlanta and the South as being "Dirty" or tough and thick- skinned. Like country music, these rappers take a lot of pride in their hometowns for what they are, even if it means glorifying very illegal acts. I am not proud of the criminal activities that the rappers portray in their lyrics a lot of times, but I do appreciate that they love their city as much as I do.

Below is a video of a classic rap song by Jermaine Dupri, titled "Welcome to Atlanta" featuring Ludacris, both natives of Atlanta.

No comments:

Post a Comment