Thursday, April 15, 2010

Jasmine Kent's Music Response

My favorite type of music is Hip-hop, R&B, and rap. I listen to a lot of other things like rock and pop but as for the rock and pop genre of music, most of the time I don't know the artists are or the name of the song that I might be singing along to. I guess that's pretty stereotypical of a black person, but its just the music I connect with the most. I like the beats too because I can vibe to it, dance to it, party to it, chill to it, get intimate with it and many other things that I just couldn't do with rock and pop all the time. R&B originate with jazz and blues, so I also love that music along with many oldies. My parents put me onto jazz and they attend many jazz festivals; one going on right now in Florida called the Seabreeze Jazz Festival. We actually know one famous saxophone player, Paul Taylor, who is my mom's old college roommate's husband.



I like how old school hip-hop and rap has evolved to what it is now with all the music technology creating crazy beats! Sometimes the beats are just what I listen to because the lyrics can be crude, drug glorifying, and degrading to woman. I think what rap has evolved to has become a Southern representation of African Americans. People think that what is shown in rap and rap videos is what every black person was raised around and should be like, which isn't true. Most of the time when I listen to rap its so I can party and get hyped up for things like track meets or something that I need to get excited to do. One old school women rap group is Salt n Pepa.




--Jasmine Kent

No comments:

Post a Comment