Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Increasing stereotypes. Michael Cox

This is in response to Daniel Sweat's post regarding southern stereotypes and whether people who make their living by making jokes about those southern stereotypes are increasing the effect of stereotypes or if it doesn't really have much of a difference, and it is a response to Parmi Shah's post regarding stereotypes.

I think the amount of influence those types of people have really depends on the audience that's listening. A lot of people seem to miss the fact that there are "rednecks" all over the country, not just in the south. I myself have been raised both in the south and the north and I have seen this. There is a certain type of people that have a mindset that is based off of a lower education level, these people are more impressionable and are more easily influenced by the things they see. In my experience living and working among these different types of people I would say that these stereotypes presented by comedians are more influential among these people with a lower level of education. Among people who think more objectively and are as a general rule more intelligent, these stereotypes are shot down more frequently or seen through as largely a facade.

With regard to security services stereotyping against people of particular nationalities and skin tones, I would say that while this is unfortunate and in some ways unfair, with regard to security in airports until another more effective method is established for detecting individuals who may be a threat, that even though this is an inconvenience to some people if it is still providing some level of security it is not altogether bad.

As far as stereotyping black people for law violations and police officers being more likely to ticket them instead of giving them a warning, I think that largely is due to the reputation established by both the ideas behind black gang identities, and also what is presented in media. I don't think that it is right or just, but I think those are some strong influences that breed this type of stereotypical thinking towards black people.

No comments:

Post a Comment